The Masters’ House ensemble in Dessau – located just a short distance from the Bauhaus building itself – epitomises the twentieth-century artists’ colony. The Director’s House and three semi- detached dwellings were constructed between 1925 and 1926. Based on plans drawn up by Walter Gropius, these sculptural cubes were built to accommodate the Bauhaus masters and their families. The Masters’ Houses were also intended as a display window, offering a view of modern life and presenting a model for state-of-the-art housekeeping. Over the last six decades, the buildings have had a chequered history of reconstruction, destruction, and neglect, but as of 2014 the site is now complete again. This paperback book tells the story of the ensemble and shows how the Masters’ Houses have influenced modern life.